As President's Week approaches, this can provide family and friends the opportunity to take a break and embrace a well-deserved vacation! When the temperatures are cooling down closer to home, some vacationers enjoy heading to a more tropical place (like the Caribbean) to find sunshine. If you have kids and are planning for a getaway during a break from school, there is no doubt you are set for a great deal of fun, laughter, and adventure! According to AIG, it’ll also be in your best interests to keep safety in mind when venturing out to explore different places.
As you consider potential destinations and get ready for your vacation, we would like to help prepare you with what to be on the lookout for.
Before You Leave: First things first:
- Purchase travel insurance. Travel Insurance will cover trip cancellations and delays, as well as provide medical expenses and emergency evacuation coverages.
- Research your destination to know what to expect In terms of culture and climate.
- Make your bank aware so that there are no surprise declines on your card while traveling.
- Visit a doctor to be given a clean “bill of health”, so that you have no worries upon departing!
- Be careful not to broadcast your whereabouts on social media before or during your trip, as this could serve as an invitation for home invaders to take advantage of your absence.
- It’s best to have a travel agent set up your tours and excursions, and/or seek out direct assistance from hotel concierge services. The vendors and tour guides that walk along beaches are not necessarily associated with your hotel and may target you as part of a scam.
- Please keep in mind that your hotel room should be equipped with a safe, to secure your more personal belongings during your stay.
- Research the safer food and drink options before you arrive. Mexico has water sanitation problems. Use bottled water, not only for drinking, but rinsing your mouth while brushing teeth as well. Vietnam has questionable bottled water.
On-the-Go, exploring your destination:
- Please keep your eyes and ears open at all times, especially when leaving hotel grounds! Areas that are known for petty and violent crimes may have offenders that look to target tour buses.
- It may make sense to utilize taxi services as often as possible, to alleviate you from the pressures of renting a car, getting rental insurance, the and dealing with potential confusion over travel routes.
- When walking around at night, keep in mind that bugs are more likely to come out at dusk. Dress accordingly.
We want you to have a wonderful vacation and are happy to answer any questions you have about mitigating risks and making this adventure as enjoyable as possible! You have earned it! Contact us today to review your coverage before you leave.