I’m adding my newly licensed son as a driver to my auto policy; I know this change is going to be expensive. What can I do to offset the increased premium?
Mom in Panic
Dear Mom in Panic,
First, take some deep breaths, meditate, and if that doesn't work out, hit the liquor cabinet! But honestly, there are plenty of things you can do to offset the premium increase, such as:
- Have all drivers on your policy complete a Defensive Driving Class
- Apply for Good Student Credits
- Having a College Degree
- Garage your Vehicles at night
- Pleasure use versus driving to/from work (use public transportation for your commute)
- Higher deductibles on physical damage coverage
- Mature Driver/Retiree Discount
- Multi-Car Discount
- Multi Policy Discount
- Driver’s Education Courses
By the way, now is a great time to make sure you have high bodily injury limits and purchase an umbrella policy. Call your agent today for more detailed information on these items.