In this episode of Ask Sherri, she answers everyone’s question: “Why is Petschauer Insurance moving?”.
Starring: Sherri Consentino & Lori Halloran
Filmed and edited: Daniel Bonilla
As most of you know, we are moving to our new office in Garden City, NY. We have been planning our move over the last 8 months to ensure a smooth transition for us and for you as well. We know at some point in your life you will encounter a move of some sort, whether it is personal or professional. We want to share with you some tips we used, as well as some we learned along the way, to have your move go as easy as possible.
- Get organized by creating a checklist with time frames
- Start packing early. Remember to get packing materials such as boxes, tape, etc.
- Donate anything you won’t need in your new place. Get a receipt for a tax deduction. If you can’t donate it then we suggest you throw it away!
- Sell other items online or have a garage sale. Remember to check with your town as you may need to have a permit to have a garage sale. Again start early – this option takes time
- Notify all utility companies
- Contact the post office and have your mail forwarded
- Notify friends, family, clients, doctors, veterinarians, etc of your new contact information
- Obtain references from moving companies before hiring
- Obtain a Certificate of Insurance from your moving company to be sure they are covered for at least Liability and Workers Compensation
- Discuss purchasing insurance for your belongings with your moving company as there is limited coverage for this move on your current policy.
- Update stationary, letterhead, business cards, etc. This is a good time to be creative and change your logo
- Update your driver’s license, car registrations and vehicle titles
- Cancel any services- such as bottled water deliveries, newspaper deliveries, automatic deliveries, etc
- Notify Your Insurance Agent of your move. Your coverage will need to be tailored to meet the needs of your new place. You may even need to rewrite your existing policy to a new policy.
And please remember to stay calm so you are prepared for any last minute or unexpected changes. We can guarantee that WILL happen.
Good luck with your future move!
Don’t forget to check out our Countdown to our Garden City Move on Facebook and Google+.