Is My Personal Property Covered Under My Flood Insurance?

tv-floodsDear Sherri, My husband has a “Man-Cave” in our basement. If our basement should flood, are his toys covered by our flood policy? – Signed Husbandless in NYC

Dear Husbandless in NYC, Unfortunately, no. Most flood policies have very limited coverage for personal contents in a basement. They only cover items meant for a basement, such as water heaters, laundry equipment, etc. A 70-inch home theater doesn’t qualify. However, on the positive side, if you have a flood, you’ll get your husband back! Or is that another negative? Anyway, keep in mind that a homeowner’s policy also excludes flood, so there would be no coverage there as well. The point is, keep those man-caves above ground if you want insurance protection. – Sherri

Share on LinkedInShare on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page