Does a Homeowner’s Policy Cover a Flood started by a leaking pipe?

A leaking copper pipeQ: Dear Sherri, A pipe im my upstairs bathroom wall is leaking and has flooded my first floor living room and kitchen. Do I have coverage on my homeowner’s policy or do I need a flood policy?

A: Dear Swimming in Queens, Great question and one that I am often asked. Technically, what you had was NOT a flood. Therefore, your Homeowner’s policy will cover this loss as this loss would be considered “water damage.” What’s the difference? A flood is defined as “rising and overflowing body of water.” If your toilet becomes an overflowing body of water, I suggest the culprit visit a doctor. Anyway, here are a few examples of flood damage and water damage:

Water Damage

  • A broken water pipe floods your home.
  • A heavy rain soaks through the roof allowing water to damage your attic, ceiling, ect.

  • Flood Damage

  • A nearby river, bay, ocean or even a stream overflows
  • Due to heavy rain the soil can’t absorb the water quickly enough
  • The city’s water mains burst on your street

  • So if you ever have any type of water damaging your home, call your agent to find out if it is “water damage or a “flood”. Better yet, just get flood insurance and be protected either way. Wishing you and your home stays nice and dry.

    Share on LinkedInShare on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page